[Xastir] Cooperative Linux?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 9 17:44:33 EST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Jeff Wigal wrote:

> Yesterday a friend of mine told me about a product called Cooperative Linux,
> basically another linux emulator that runs on top of Windows.  He spoke
> highly of it.
>
> Has anyone ever tried to install Xastir on Cooperative Linux?  Sometimes
> called "coLinux".

Hadn't heard of it until now.  The FAQ has this though:

  * Q4. Why doesn't my X server work under coLinux?

  coLinux currently doesn't support running an X server that requires
  a graphic adapter, because such virtual adapter doesn't exist at the
  moment. If you want to use X, you can run a Windows X server such as
  Cygwin/X, and launch an X session across the virtual network.

  Bart Kerver took Cygwin/X and made a package untied from the Cygwin
  installer: http://speeldoos.showcase.surfnet.nl/startx.zip

So you'd need to have some Xwindows package installed on Windows in
order to run a graphical application like Xastir.  It also looks
like you need to install Linux under coLinux to get up and running,
or use a Knoppix/MEPIS CD or similar.

Going to try it and give us a report?  We can add a write-up for it
to our docs.  Perhaps it'll be easier/simpler/faster than Cygwin.