[Xastir] More questions

John Kraus kc4zgq at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 10:54:34 EST 2004

Below is my earlier post for background.  I can't post from my cox.net
account for  some, no doubt, silly reason.

It was suggested that I change from the lesstiff libaray to the open motif
one to fix the menu errors.  How is this done?  Can it be done using the
apt-get method?  Now that I have the shapefiles in zip format for my local
SE US states where do they need to go? I can easily unzip and burn them to a
cdrom then put them on the linux box wherever they need to go.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just installed MEPIS and did the Xastir install.  I am seeing the leading
letters on menu items clipped off.

I have posted two screen shots here:

http://www.kc4zgq.com/errormenu.htm

Any thoughts on this.

I am planning to put some time into getting this running and learning it
With the future of UI-View looking bleak I want to be able to offer an
alternative to the Georgia ARES community.

Here are my key questions:

Can Xastir function as a bi-directional IGATE?

How do I setup to gate weather warnings and objects?

Can Xastir function as a Digipeater?

Also I remember someone on the APRSSIG mentioning a *.zip file with
shapefile maps that could be installed then indexed.  I can't find a link on
the Xastir site.  I want to be able to setup a box quickly with a functional
set of maps for use when it is not connected to the internet.  This rules
out the download options.  Most of these boxes will only be running Xastir
and will have plenty of space on the hard drive.  I also have about 12-15
1-4GB hard drives that I can load with maps then install in other systems.