[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 14 09:06:30 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:54:37AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:

> In Tom's example file he checks for matches in the CFCC field:
>

> /^CFCC=A1/ {lanes=4; color=4; label_level=512; font_size=3; next}
> /^CFCC=A2/ {lanes=3; color=8; label_level=256; font_size=2; next}
> /^CFCC=A3/ {lanes=2; color=8; label_level=128; font_size=1; next}
>
> How do you find out what values are in the CFCC field. Can that be
> determined from the shp file with one of these tools, or do I have to find a
> descriptor file for the particular shp file I am trying to parse?

This is part of the "metadata" that the provider of the shapefiles should
have.  There is no way to determine this from the shapefiles themselves.
In the case of the tiger map data there is a very large Users' Guide.  In
my USFS case there was a similarly large digitization key.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins