[Xastir] libMagick.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 14 10:11:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Mark A. Lewis wrote:

> [root at aprsbox root]# xastir
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libMagick.so.6: cannot
>
> What I have done sofar, uninstalled, remade ImageMagick and Xastir.
> The file referenced above does exist:
>
> [root at aprsbox root]# whereis libMagick.so.6
> libMagick.so: /usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libMagick.so
> [root at aprsbox root]# ls /usr/local/lib/libMagick.*
> /usr/local/lib/libMagick.a   /usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.6
> /usr/local/lib/libMagick.la  /usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.6.1.6
> /usr/local/lib/libMagick.so
>
> So, I am confused. My gut tells me that Xastir is looking for it
> elsewhere, but I am unable to determine where.

Have you checked that /usr/local/lib is listed in /etc/ld.so.conf
and then run ldconfig as root?  That's the usual problem.  The
dynamic loader is not able to dynamically link the executable with
the libraries it needs if the ld.so.cache file doesn't contain the
proper entires.  That file gets updated by ldconfig, from ld.so.conf
as the input.

That should all be spelled out in the Xastir "INSTALL" file.