[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 15 21:02:45 EST 2004

> I mean that when you do a "make" it gets created in the "src"
> directory, but when you do "make install" it isn't copied
> into /usr/local/bin.  It's meant for debugging purposes and
> so isn't installed.

Okay, so 'make' actually compiles the program from the source code, and
'make install' simply copies it to the appropriate directory?

> One thing you can do to get a proper dbfinfo is to use
> testawk.  The first thing it does is print out what dbfinfo
> is appropriate for your file.
> (I mention this in the tutorial on
> http://www.swcp.com/~russo/shape_web/tutorial.html, but I
> imagine that that could be easy to overlook).

Hmm, I read the tutorial, and saw the reference to testawk. The only things
it says is that it could be used to find the list of attributes which could
also be found with dbfinfo. Since I knew where dbfinfo was, I used it.

> Do you see an error message on the console saying something
> to the effect of "No matching DBFAWK signature for ...." when
> your shapefile is loaded?

Nope... I get a bunch of errors because I don't have my dbfawk file setup
properly... 8)

I did try running testawk on my ROADSEG.dbfawk file and got a nice
segmentation fault.

James