[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Dec 16 02:17:28 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:11:43PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ve7did at dccnet.com> flavor, containing:
> James:
>
> How do you want Alberta chopped up?  I had a huge shapefile of BC  chopped up
> into smaller areas a while ago.  I think the program was Mapinfo which was
> used, but can't remember for sure.  I'll let you know tomorrow.
>
> I'm hoping Mapinfo will read the 40M file directly.

I just wrote a 77 line C program using shapelib that can go through a
shapefile of any size at all and select only those shapes that lie inside
a bounding rectangle.

Just gonna work on one that can select only shapes that match a specified
value of a specified attribute.

When I'm done I'll pop them both up on my shape_web web site for folks to
play with.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins