[Xastir] APRS with non APRS equiped stations ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu Dec 16 09:03:47 EST 2004

Well...

After thinking about this for a bit, I sat down and wrote a bit of Perl script
(see the attached files).

It takes a locations.dat in the format of
  LOCATION ID,Lat,Lon
with Lat and Lon in the typical APRS format of DDMM.MMN. ID should be unique.

It takes a stations.dat file in the format of
  STATION ID,Icon
Icon is not yet used and i want to expand this to allow for aliases.

With these files in place, when you run the program, it reads the
locations.dat and stations.dat; creates a signpost object for each location
and then waits for user input. The user input is in the format of
  STATION ID,LOCATION ID, SPEED, COURSE, COMMENTS
It will then create (or move) an object to the new location with given
course/speed.

You will want to update test.pl to point to your Xastir server (the server
port must be enabled for this to work) and update for your callsign/callpass.

To execute this, extract all three files to some directory. In a command
window (or shell), cd to this directory and execute "perl test.pl".

With the sample data provided, you can watch what it will do by entering the
following lines in one at a time:
WJMJEEP,21,,,21
WJMJEEP,41,,,41
WJMJEEP,61,,,61
WJMJEEP,81,,,81
WJMJEEP,101,,,101
WJMJEEP,121,,,121
WJMJEEP,141,,,141
WJMJEEP,161,,,161
WJMJEEP,181,,,181
WJMJEEP,201,,,201
WJMJEEP,221,,,221
WJMJEEP,241,,,241
WJMJEEP,261,,,261
WJMJEEP,281,,,281
WJMJEEP,301,,,301
WJMJEEP,321,,,321
WJMJEEP,341,,,341
WJMJEEP,361,,,361
WJMJEEP,381,,,381
WJMJEEP,401,,,401
WJMJEEP,421,,,421
WJMJEEP,441,,,441
WJMJEEP,461,,,461
WJMJEEP,481,,,481
WJMJEEP,501,,,501
WJMJEEP,521,,,521
WJMJEEP,541,,,541
WJMJEEP,561,,,561

I will probably improve this over the next few weeks...if you have any
comments/suggestions, please let me know.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net