Breaking up shapefiles Re: [Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 19 00:19:52 EST 2004

The split_shape programs work great. I've been able to pull the main
highways out, creating a much smaller file to display the province wide
data.

I also split the province into maidenhead gridsquare sized chunks of street
level detail.

This has sped up the display routines dramatically. Instead of having to
parse a 500 MB file every time it needed to update the map, Xastir only
needs to process a much smaller portion of the data.

I've dropped from about 45 seconds down to about 2 seconds to redraw the
screen.

James