Breaking up shapefiles Re: [Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 19 12:22:29 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 11:20:02AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> I have to totally agree with Curt on this one. On my Linux box, which only has
> 64MB Ram, this change has made a very significant performance gain in map
> redraws!

Really?!?  Terrific.  I was very concerned about the size of the data
structures that stored the indices, and not sure how much of a speed-up
would be realized.  For me (2.6GHz processor, 1.5GB RAM), it's about
50%.  I haven't done timing comparisons on my laptop (800MHz, 256MB), but
it was noticeable.  Panning seems to be where the big win is.

How many shapefile maps do you typically have loaded at a time?

My modifications will only have any noticeable effect when you are zoomed
in to a much smaller area than the shapefile covers.

Those users whose typical use of xastir is to have a handful of very large
shapefiles that cover areas much larger than the zoom levels they tend to
stay at will see the greatest improvement with the least memory hogging.

> On Sun, December 19, 2004 12:40 am, Curt Mills said:
> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:
> >
> > Have you seen what the experimental code does that Tom added to
> > Xastir?  Man, after the initial read, it's FAST!
>
> --
> William McKeehan
> KI4HDU
> Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
> http://mckeehan.homeip.net

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."