Breaking up shapefiles Re: [Xastir] ESRI shapefiles and dbfawk

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 19 13:43:20 EST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> The "RTree" data structures used to do the spatial indexing are permanent ---
> once a shapefile is loaded, its index sticks around until you shut down
> the program.

I expect that many people run Xastir for short periods of time, or
perhaps a few days at a time.  Others run it for extended periods.
I have no idea what the ratio is between these two sets of users,
but if the rtree structs stay around, that could hurt the
long-running group.

If there were an easy way to add an access timestamp for the rtree,
perhaps one could waste that rtree or section of an retree if it
wasn't accessed within the last XX days?  Not sure if that's
practical with the current code though.  You tell me.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer