[Xastir] Re: no maps show up again

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 20 11:46:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, ke4lkq wrote:

> On Monday 20 December 2004 11:10, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > An alternative is to try "configure --without-libgeotiff" and then
> > "make install" to see if the above is your problem.
>
> Had to use --without-libproj  & --without-libgeotiff both to disable it.
> Maps work now, so I need to to do some trouble shooting like you say, it's
> either with the libs or with the topo maps themselves.
>
> Thanks for the quick fix, will save this executable for awhile.

Just rename that one to xastir-backup or similar, then you can
always rely on that one to keep you running if your compile
experiements aren't working.

I've had the sort of trouble you're talking about before.  Mine was
caused by the version of libgeotiff not matching the version of
libtiff that I had.  In some cases I had to go snag the sources for
libtiff, copy a few header files for that version into the
libgeotiff tree, and recompile libgeotiff to make it all play.

libgeotiff uses a private interface of libtiff to do its work.  If
it doesn't have a good idea as to the struct definitions for
libtiff, it guesses wrong and segfaults result.  I think they've
fixed that mostly with later versions of libtiff/libgeotiff, but
you're probably not up to those versions yet.