[Xastir] text error? I know I'm missing something obvious

Chuck Byam kg4ijb at xastir.org
Tue Dec 21 09:56:38 EST 2004

J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> It's in the FAQ...
>
> export LANG=C
> or
> export LANG=en_US
>

> -Lance KJ5O
>
> Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>
>> When I'm running Xastir, I've been seeing this error:
>>
>> Warning:
>>     Name: create_appshell text_output2
>>     Class: XmTextField
>>     Character '\260' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it's a font issue.  What I can't recall is the easy
>> fix.  Ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> gerry

Lance is correct, this warming is issued when your system is using UTF-8
fonts (or multi-byte encodings which includes nearly all modern POSIX
systems) and Motif is not setup to handle character encodings above 0x7F
(ASCII characters <=  127).  While this will resolve the warnings I
wouldn't suggest making this a global change; UTF-8 fonts are much more
efficient than UCS.  You can start xastir from a shell and make that env
setting from within.  I have resolved this warning in the codebase that
I am working on and will submit this for the groups consumption in the
very near future as it is tied to a  better localization schema that
isn't quite finished yet.
--
Chuck