[Xastir] Smart RELAY digipeating

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 26 12:28:16 EST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Henk de Groot wrote:

> Yes, that is in general the way to go, but in this case there is no
> problem. Just make sure that Persist is set so that is doesn't postpone
> transmissions (255 on normal TNC's, 0 on Kenwoods and maybe Alinco's). So
> you receive, process and queue and when the channel is clear immediately
> throw out the packet. Both Xastir and the Digi will assess that the channel
> is clear and throw out the packet at the same time (together with all the
> other RELAY stations you have in the area). With this approach there is
> also no problem to have many RELAY stations in the area. A weak station
> will hit only one RELAY, a strong station will be heard by the DIGI anyway.
> All the RELAY stations together take only 1 packet time. Think about it, it
> takes a bit of mind bending but in the end you have to agree this might
> acutally work as Bob envisioned.

There'd need to be some quick tests to make sure that Xastir would
not wait a second or two to actually send it out.  There are various
timers internal to Xastir for triggering various sub-systems, and
they might need some tweaking along with the KISS settings in order
to get this to play the way you want it to.  Seems workable though.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer