[Xastir] georeferencing maps on osx?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 28 21:24:41 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 09:06:32PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <shadow at dementia.org> flavor, containing:
> Actually, I'm looking for pointers to elsewhere I might ask this question.
>
> I have scanned USGS quads I want to georeference myself, for use with
> xastir. I'm not even sure what I'm in for, I assume selecting 4 points by
> mouse, keying in coordinates, and possibly rotating, resizing or
> resampling to get something sane. Am I screwed short of spending big money
> on an expensive package to do it?

You need at least 5 points to do it right, more for better accuracy.

I recommend GRASS, a free GIS package that you can even download in binary
form for your OS X machine.  http://grass.itc.it/

If you choose to go this route I can send you some pointers for what modules
in grass you need to run to get the job done.  It's kinda labor intensive, but
it gives you properly georeferenced rasters.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."