[Xastir] dbfawk questions

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Dec 30 12:16:10 EST 2004

I'd like to make certain lines display differently depending on the
display level.  When displaying state outlines, for example, I'd like
to see a wide dotted gray line when close in (zoom level <= 1024), but
display as a narrow solid black line when farther out.  Can a dbfawk do
this and if so, how?

Can a dbfawk be used to stop the processing and display of a shapefile?
  e.g.,  if the current zoom level is >1024, I don't want to display any
TIGER shapefiles.  I know I can do this with map properties, I just
wondered if dbfawk could, too.

Can I do a mathematical relation test instead of a regular expression?
e.g., something like

/POPULATION<10000/ {display_level=256}

I tried this, but nothing happened.

I've been writing a dbfawk for the National Atlas "cities" shapefile,
and found out that some very large cities like Nashville, TN and some
very small places like Smoke Rise, AL are both in the same population
range - "Undetermined".  Arrggghhhh!

At least it was a good dbfawk learning experience. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv