[Xastir] dbfawk questions

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Dec 30 15:51:28 EST 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> Right now it does a pattern
> match on the regexp enclosed by "/" with PCRE, and if there's a match
> it peforms the simple assignments inside the braces.  I'm not even
> sure you
> can do arithmetic inside there.

That would explain why my "if" block didn't work. (:

Thanks for the hint on the number of digits - I didn't think of that.

I think I've figured out a way to do it - just create a set of symbolic
links for the shapefiles, then create a pair of matching dbfawk files
in the same directory.  Each dbfawk draws the lines its special way,
and use map properties to turn 'em off and on at some zoom level.

> I find it a useful alternative to tiger data at high zoom
> levels --- use that road file at really high zooms, only bother with
> TIGER
> when you're in tight.  Makes for much faster map draws.

That's precisely what got me started.

I did a little with the NOAA Interstate maps, but I couldn't edit the
road names the way I wanted.  The section of I65 near me is labeled
something like "I-65, Alt US-31, blah blah blah".  I tried

which worked sometimes, and sometimes got the whole label.  Not sure
what I'm doing wrong, but the next step is to try and dump the labels
from the shapefile and see what's in the text.

-Jason
kg4wsv