[Xastir] TNC setup and maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 9 11:37:53 EST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Chris Abbott wrote:

> Hey, I just recently purchased a MFJ-1270, TNC 2 TNC. I was wondering
> how do you setup up the Ax.25 protocol in Linux to read off of
> /dev/tnc(which is really a link to /dev/ttyS0).

Check the AX.25 HOWTO document.  After digesting that and trying a
few things, post your progress and additional questions to the list.

> Also, I just recently
> updated xastir and now all of my maps are gone, it won't pull from the
> Internet for maps, but it does get packets successfully thorough with
> the IGate option.

Read the latest "UPGRADE" document in the "Xastir 1.2.1 or later
CVS" section (near the end).  You might have to read the version in
the Browse CVS area on SourceForge to see the newest version of the
UPGRADE file (rev 1.8).  Check that your paths to the map files are
correct.

Check that ImageMagick got compiled in if you want to use internet
map images.

For the future:
I'm wondering if there's a simple way to have Xastir either check
for map directories in common places that don't match the paths in
the user's config file?  We might have to compile a list of "normal"
install locations for various distributions in order to do this.
/usr/local/xastir/maps is one old path.  I suspect /usr/xastir/maps
is the SuSE RPM package install location?  Others?