[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 13:00:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Matt Werner wrote:

> That would be very handy.  I'm keeping my eye open for a file that has major
> roads (Interstates, US highways, and maybe state highways) for the maps that
> are zoomed way out, but haven't seen something yet.

I use the interstate shapefile for that, which has just those.  I
think I got it off one of the NOAA sites while I was getting my
weather shapes.

> One thing that would be nice for xastir would be to be able to turn on
> certain map "groups" with a click or two.  For example, if I don't normally
> run with the topo maps on, but want to turn them on for a little bit, I
> don't have to go into map chooser and turn them all on - I can go to a
> window and click a check box that will turn on "Group 2 - Topo maps" - or
> something like that.  I don't know that it can be done easily in the
> existing software.

It can't do it now, but I'm also forever switching between
shapefiles and topo's.  I could use that feature as well.  It
shouldn't be hard to implement (but I always say that!).  Perhaps
swapping the "selected_maps.sys" file among several saved
possibilities and then reloading the maps would be the easiest
solution.  The hardest part would be the GUI additions to manage
this.

> Looking at a 5 mile square of MN and WI where I live and having to load the
> entire MN and WI maps would get old.

Yep.  I use the ESRI county shapefiles for this reason, and
usually just enable the lakes/rivers/roads layers.