[Xastir] ax25 devices

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 26 11:13:10 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, victor alger wrote:

> Thanks for the info below!!!  I think I see what happens.  If I treat the ax
> device as another network "card, node, or whatever" I can communicate between
> computers and applications on another "network" completetly seperate from the
> one I use as the main "public one" so to speak.  The whole range of ports on
> this device or devices are available as long as there are applications
> listening on these devices.  I think....  Is that a true statement....
> because if it is, it opends a whole another way to do some of the things I
> want to do here....  I did not realize that I could use the "ifup" to start
> the device.....

Yes, I believe that is the correct way of thinking about it.  There
may be some holes in that theory having to do with how the
applications try to use the ports, depending on what level of the
protocol you wish to deal with.  If you set up TCP/IP on those ports
though, then anything at the IP level and above works just fine as
long as they can handle the longer delays and round trip times.  Be
very careful with commands such as "ping" which can quickly flood an
AX.25 network due to the default timing.  You can run it with longer
times between pings or a one-time ping and it works fine.

There's another mailing list, "linux-hams", which may be of interest
to you for setting up protocols other than APRS.  And of course the
AX.25 HOWTO document.