[Xastir] serial port error with serial GPS

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 29 22:26:44 EST 2004

When I was in junior high, my dad was sent to a systems analyst class
for 6 months at IBM in Dallas (we lived in Ft. Worth, he worked for the
US Gov't at Bell Helicopter, as an auditor).  He never quite got the
idea behind programming, and most of the work was in FORTRAN (with a
little COBOL) so I started at that point.  He'd run my programs on the
IBM 1401 and bring home the results.  He got pretty good at analysis,
but never could string his thoughts together as working code.  You might
say his passing the training was the result of a good team effort.

I used the High School's Model 39 TTY to gain more access to the
Spectra-70 than I should have had.  Learned BASIC there because they
didn't make programming languages available to the HS students...

At TAMU, we had a 360/30 when I started, but by my sophomore year we'd
upgraded to a 360/65.  For most of the time I was there, the standard
was the IBM 029 keypunch and a line printer, but we also had Selectrics
for the APL folks.  At some point we started seeing Lear-Seigler
ADM3's... and then ADM-3a's.  We used them in a semiinteractive mode to
run WILBUR.  I got thrown out of a Numerical Analysis class for, among
other things, teaching my group how to run WILBUR and IEBPRINTPUNCH so
we could turn in the requisite print-out and deck.

Did I mention the Clandestine Programming Contest?  Modelled after the
intercollegiate contest, our goal was to take down the mainframe for the
longest period of time (that is, the hardest), with the least number of
cards, submitted at a normal user cardreader.  My deck had 6 cards;
after being hired for a 12 month stint to study and improve HASP, I kept
the deck in a plastic box on my desk as a reminder to our Director that
he was not safe.  To complete the story, there was a group of
undergraduates on campus working for various departments.  The Data
Processing Center Director took exception to us working in the computing
centers supposedly reserved for faculty/staff/grad-students.  After all,
we were slimey undergrads!  He directed his staff to intercept our jobs
in the queue, decrement our work accounts for the total requested time
charge, and report no output.  Our complaints met a silent wall.  So, we
took the step to organize the Contest.  All, save one of us, was hired
away from our departments; the hold-out got a bigger offer from the
department he worked for.  I did HASP/COP work while virtually all of us
did one form of systems security or another.  I even got a preliminary
look at ACF and RAC prior to them seeing the light of day.

gerry