[Xastir] HELP: TIGER Files

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Fri Jan 2 22:40:11 EST 2004

A friend of mine (WB9TLH) forwarded the message below to me. I just went
through this nightmare. All is not what it would seem to be.

Assuming the binary is correctly built (from the description below I
believe it is), start the program. On the menu, select 'Map/Map
Chooser'. You should see a minimum of two .geo files, 'terraserver.geo'
and 'toposerver.geo'. If you don't see another .geo file named
'TigerMaps.geo' (or similar) you must create it. It is a one-liner
containing 'TIGERMAP' (without the single quotes). ***VERY IMPORTANT***
The entry must not contain leading or trailing spaces or extra empty
lines. In fact, you should check the other two .geo files shipped with
the code. They had an extra line that prevented them from working. After
removing the extra line, both worked.

If you're having trouble finding the files, they will be in
'/usr/local/xastir/maps', '/usr/local/share/xastir/maps', or some
variant along these lines. When I got into my friend's system, the
'xastir' directory (and it's contents) were in a completely different
location than mine. Odd, since I built both machines with nearly
identical configuration (RH9).

If you haven't put the festival speech synthesizer on your system, would
suggest you do so. Very cool. If anyone is intersted, I've been working
on an init.d script that is chkconfig compatible to start the festival
server at boot. Most mailing lists don't allow attachments, so won't
attempt to add it to this email. However, if anyone is interested, let
me know and I'll try to find some place to post it so it can be
downloaded. Also, if you've tried to get festival working and couldn't,
I've dealt with that one too. Again, let me know and I'll be happy to
share.

73,
John
n4xi