[Xastir] New xastir

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Sat Jan 10 09:21:35 EST 2004

* Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net> [2004 Jan 10 07:56 -0600]:

> Then before you know it you'll be running 'cvs update' twice a day and
> wondering why only a few files changed!

Then you'll venture into shell scripts, a bit of Perl and Python, then
dabble in C, glance at C++, tinker with code, consider contributing to
a project, contribute to a project, scratch a programming itch...Oh wait,
that's me!

YMMV, of course, but Free Software has this viral property that leads
tinkerers like hams to want to tinker with it.

To all of you working with Xastir, keep up the good work.  I first tried
it back in the summer of 2000 as I wanted to track a balloon that was
launched from Salina, KS (come to think of it they're planning on doing
another one today, I think) and donwloaded Xastir.  Unfortunately, I
couldn't get to the FTP server that had the map files until the
following Monday.  So, I didn't get much except a track on a blank
screen.  I kept track of the version updates over the years, but didn't
ge the urge to try it again until last fall.  Very good work, everyone.

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org