[Xastir] Not transmitting.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 10 11:57:56 EST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> The user owns the display. I start up my KDE as user. I did ran xastir
> as root, but can see this is wrong.
>   I did install xastir now strictly as mentioned in the install
> information, and here's what happened then running xastir as user.
>
> What does the "Found out-of-range or non-existent value" mean ?.

It means that either the variable was missing from the Xastir config
file, or that the value there was out of range to it is being reset
by Xastir on startup.  They are informational messages.  Often
you'll see a few of them the first time you start up a new Xastir
version that has had features added.

> What does the & in xastir & mean ?

It means you're running Xastir as a background process and the Xterm
that you started it from will be free'd up for use again.  If you
don't enter the '&', the Xterm will be tied up until you kill
Xastir.

Are you getting the "Found out-of-range" lines every time you start
up Xastir?  That's a sign that your ~/.xastir directory structure is
either owned by the wrong username, or the permissions are set wrong
there.  Xastir needs to be able to read and write everything
throughout that structure.  If there's a problem there, the easiest
thing to do is wipe out that whole structure:

    cd
    rm -rf .xastir

Then restart Xastir and let it construct all of the user files it
needs again.

> Bitmap not found: /usr/lib/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

That message isn't good.  Did you do a "make install" as root?  Why
was Xastir installed into /usr/lib?  Must have been a package
install of some sort instead of an install from sources.

A normal Xastir install will go into the /usr/local heirarchy, with
most of the Xastir system files going into /usr/local/share/xastir.

If you've got something looking in /usr/lib, that means you probably
need to waste your ~/.xastir directory, start up Xastir, and let it
re-create them.  They'll then point to where the Xastir system files
are.

I'm assuming that you've installed Xastir from sources recently, so
you may have some Xastir pieces hanging around in /usr/lib,
/usr/bin, and other places.

Make sure to do a "rpm -e xastir" first, to get rid of the installed
old Xastir.  You might want to do the "make install;chmod 4555
/usr/local/bin/xastir" piece again after that, to make sure that all
of the latest Xastir pieces are installed correctly.

So:  Because you installed 0.3.6 version from SuSE, here's the full
procedure I'd do:

  Kill any running Xastir sessions first, then
  su
  rpm -e xastir   (This will remove the old one from your system,
                   you could also do it via YaST2)
  cd /home/<user>/src/xastir
  make install
  chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir
  exit
  cd
  rm -rf .xastir
  xastir &

After this procedure, you should see the big list of messages only
the first time you start Xastir, as it creates your config files for
you.  The next and succeeding times, you should not see all those
messages.  You won't have the old version on your system anymore,
and your config files won't have any of the old paths in them.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer