[Xastir] New xastir

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Sat Jan 10 19:55:10 EST 2004

* Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com> [2004 Jan 10 18:25 -0600]:

> So what was the main impression that you got after skipping multiple
> years of development?  I know it looks mostly the same, so you
> should have been very familiar with most of the GUI already, but is
> there anything that stands out as particularly different?

To be truthful, Curt, I didn't use it all that much back then as I only
had a 486 100 and screen response was painfully slow.  It's perhaps
because of that old machine that I'm still no fan of Motif.  Xastir is
the only program that I use that needs Motif as every other Moitf app
that I've used has at least one replacement.  :-)

I recall the maps being simple lines on a gray background and I'm not at
all sure of what map format I downloaded way back then, but they were
huge as I recall.

My impression is that now there seem to be few map formats that Xastir
doesn't support.  It appears to be probably the most feature complete
APRS program out there.  Of course, I've not ever used any APRS client
for that other "OS", so I can't compare them.

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org