[Xastir] NEXRAD decoder?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 17 23:21:14 EST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Tyler Allison wrote:

> Anybody know of a piece of software that will decode the NEXRAD data that
> is available from NOAA via ftp?  Searches on google only turn up
> commercial products or the fortran source code from the NWS. (I dont want
> a full blown piece of weather software, nor do I know fortran)

Well, my first "official" computer class was in fortran, although I
was doing hand-coded machine code before that.

I know there's a translator from Pascal to C, and I think I remember
something about one to translate fortran, so it might not be that
hard to turn it into something that's a bit more modern.

Did "apropos fortran" on this system and got this:

f2c (1)              - Convert Fortran 77 to C or C++ . . .
g77 (1)              - GNU project Fortran 77 compiler
libfpvm (3)          - PVM C and Fortran programming libraries
libpvm3.a (3) [libfpvm] - PVM C and Fortran programming libraries
libpvm (3)           - PVM C and Fortran programming libraries

The pascal translator is p2c.  There's are multiple fortran and
pascal compilers also if you don't want to translate to C.

> I simply want a way to decode the NEXRAD file and turn it into some
> graphics format (gif, jpg, png, whatever)

Sorry, don't know anything about the format myself.  Just heard the
term before.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer