[Xastir] Xastir post-install

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 19 13:07:45 EST 2004

From: James Jolin <jjolin at itol.com>

> Well Xastir 'is installed, but not all is well. Here's what I
> have: /usr/lib/xastir with various subdirectories (config, help,
> maps, sounds and symbols with nothing in them.  /usr/local/xastir
> with subdirectories (counties, gnis, congif, doc, fcc, help, maps,
> sounds and symbols.)  These have files in them.  When I run Xastir
> & in the terminal window I get a whole bunch of "Found out-of
> -range or non-existant value for various things (e.g. rain guage,
> list4_w, track_me,etc.)  The last line says:  bitmap not found
> /usr/lib/xaxtir/symbols/2x2.xbm.  I have read the faq, install and
> help files, but they don't address the problem.

If it was installed in /usr/lib originally, that means it came from
some package, being it tgz (Slackware), rpm (SuSE/RedHat/others),
.deb (Debian), or something else.

1) You need to use your package manager to remove the original
install completely.  This should remove the empty directories as
well, but you may have to remove them manually.

2) Rename your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to something else
(to save it).

3) Delete the map_index.sys and selected_maps.sys files.

4) Install a newer Xastir (1.2.1-something).  This will install
things into /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib/xastir, and
/usr/local/share/xastir.

5) Start up the new Xastir.  This will create a new config file and
should be pointing to the correct directories.

Once you have had Xastir create the new config files for you, kill
Xastir and then copy entries from your old config file to the new
one.  Don't copy the crummy old paths across though.  You could also
just use the old config file for reference as you set things up
again using Xastir's GUI instead.

Optionally you can replace steps 2/3 with these commands, which just
wipe out your user's xastir config files.  Xastir will create the
directories and config files from scratch the first time you run it.

    cd
    rm -rf ~/.xastir