[Xastir] Another newbie question

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:52:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Chris Hurlbut wrote:

> Plus I still can't see anything that I couldn't before.  Like all my
> gif, jpg, and shape files.........
> My errors are gone now too.

If you reindex, you should see the Shapefiles.  Do you have a .geo
file for every .gif and .jpg file?  If not, do you have .inf files
to go with them?  If the answer to that last question was "yes",
then run the inf2geo.pl script against each one to create the .geo
files, then reindex within Xastir.

If Xastir isn't happy about the extents of the file, you'll see it
in the xterm you started Xastir from, when you reindex.  Xastir
expects geographic lat/long coordinates, not state-plane coordinates
or UTM coordinates in the Shapefiles.

If you have something other than geographic lat/long, you might have
to play with the GDAL support instead, which isn't complete yet but
might be usable for you.  It will auto-convert to WGS84 datum and
the correct coordinates as long as it can figure out what they are
from a .prj file associated with the .shp/.shx/.dbf set of files.
If you don't have a .proj file, even GDAL won't be able to figure
out what you have, and it'll assume WGS84/geographic lat/long
coordinates.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer