[Xastir] problems KISSing

Bryan Klofas bklofas at calpoly.edu
Tue Jan 27 02:39:49 EST 2004

Hello All--

I am having loads of trouble getting the KISS interface to work on my
machine. Running Fedora Core 1, kernel 2.4.22, xastir 1.2.1, kpc-3 with
version 5 firmware.

I'm trying to get the KISS interface working so I can decode OpenTrac
stuff. I have:

Device 0 Serial TNC on serial /dev/ttyS0 and is DOWN
Device 1 Serial KISS TNC on serial /dev/ttyS0 and is DOWN

I put the TNC in regular mode and start up Device 0, and everything
works. I pull Device 0 DOWN, open minicom, put the TNC into kiss mode,
quit minicom, start up Device 1, and just sit there. Nothing happens, no
packets are shown on the Incoming Data window.

And here is my only lead:

I close down Device 1, open up minicom, and minicom just sits there
untill I hit the enter key. Then the past five minutes of APRS scrolls
by the screen. It is almost like when the TNC is "software" disconnected
(not physically) from the computer, it waits until there is some
activity from the computer before it starts to send data again. I'm not
sure if the fault is with the computer or TNC (either the computer not
sending something to the TNC or the TNC waiting for a command before
sending data).

Anybody have any experience with KISS interfaces?
--
Bryan Klofas, KF6ZEO
Cal Poly State University