[Xastir] problems KISSing

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 27 11:17:33 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Spider wrote:

> Bryan, does your serial port work in any mode?  I've yet to get my serial
> port to work with Xastir, yet minicom work great!  I don't know linux, so I
> gave up for the time being!

That can happen if Minicom has SUID or SGID priviledges and
therefore can access the port as a priviledged user, while Xastir
might not have been granted that access (via "chmod 4555
/usr/local/bin/xastir"), and therefore has to try to access the port
as a regular user.

Check the owner/group/permissions of your /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1
ports in that case.  Make sure one of the following is done:

1) Change the permissions allow a normal user to access it
(considered a security risk if it's a multi-user system),

2) The user has been added to the group owning the ports, or

3) The applications you are using change to the user or group of the
ports when they need to access them.