[Xastir] problems KISSing

Bryan Klofas bklofas at calpoly.edu
Tue Jan 27 22:27:06 EST 2004

Hello Curt--

With respect to your earlier mail message about permissions, I fixed the
serial port to crw-rw-rw, and it works. Root still owns it, but that
hasn't caused a problem yet. I was running it as root (I know that is
bad), so I didn't have that problem, but now i'm running it as myself.

archer at eskimo.com wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Bryan Klofas wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to get the KISS interface working so I can decode OpenTrac
>>stuff. I have:
>>
>>Device 0 Serial TNC on serial /dev/ttyS0 and is DOWN
>>Device 1 Serial KISS TNC on serial /dev/ttyS0 and is DOWN
>

>>I close down Device 1, open up minicom, and minicom just sits there
>>untill I hit the enter key. Then the past five minutes of APRS scrolls
>>by the screen. It is almost like when the TNC is "software" disconnected
>>(not physically) from the computer, it waits until there is some
>>activity from the computer before it starts to send data again. I'm not
>>sure if the fault is with the computer or TNC (either the computer not
>>sending something to the TNC or the TNC waiting for a command before
>>sending data).
>

> I'm assuming that you're not changing baud rates or other serial
> parameters when you switch to the KISS interface, or when the TNC
> switches it's not doing anything weird like that.  If you see the
> KISS packets come in on Minicom, you're probably ok as far as that
> last one.  Check the interface->properties settings for each
> interface.
>
> I know that Minicom by default sends some AT modem commands when you
> shut it down.  Perhaps that is getting the TNC wedged?  Try power

I deleted the power up/power down commands from minicom. That is what
got me the first time; I start up minicom and then the TNC dies after
all this stuff flys by on the screen. I had to do a hard reset, no fun.

> cycling the TNC after you shut down Minicom, before you start up the
> Xastir interface.

That solved my problem. I'm not sure how that one escaped me before, but
now its working just fine. I started up the interface, and THEN turned
on the TNC and it works fine now.

Thanks for all your help!
--
Bryan Klofas, KF6ZEO