[Xastir] Objects persist until xastir exited? Help?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 30 12:16:39 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> I've noticed for some time that my station continues to send out
> object packets even after I've deleted the objects.  I select the
> object, choose "modify object", then click the delete button, but
> xastir continues to send out the packets.

It's sending out "killed" versions of the objects.  That makes them
disappear off of people's screens when received.

> I've tried clearing the object history, verifying that object.log is
> empty, then using "reload object history."  But the object stubbornly
> continues to be transmitted until I exit xastir and reenter it.  I
> hate exiting xastir and reentering, coz I lose all my tracks (I know I
> could reload a tnc log, but then I lose the timestamps).
>
> How does one go about deleting objects *and* having them stop being
> transmitted?

Theoretically we should time-out the killed objects after a while
and stop transmitting them.  This hasn't been implemented yet.  Some
other software packages send only one or two killed objects and then
cease transmitting them, which is the other end of the spectrum (and
equally wrong).

The answer is somewhere in the middle:  We should send killed
versions of the objects for some time period (perhaps an hour to six
hours?) and then stop.