[Xastir] Non-functioning Menu.

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Fri Jul 2 17:22:38 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 03:11:17PM -0600, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':

> Turns out that xastir's configure script is currently set up to use
> "--with-xxxxx"  as a purely binary "yes/no" option instead of "--enable-xxxx"
> which means it's not properly set up to allow nonstandard installations of
> dependent libraries.  It'll take a little longer to fix it than I thought.
> But shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, to do this so that --with-package=path works will not be easy.
I'd have to also provide an option "--with-package-libraries=" and
"--with-package-headers" to allow all manner of bogus non-installed library
options and such.  That could get messy (although it's how many other software
packages handle this).  Guess it's better to leave it as it is.

An easier way of forcing configure to find things in nonstandard paths is to
add the paths to your uninstalled shapelib stuff into CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS,
then let --with-shapelib be just yes or no.

So:

  ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I../shapelib-1.2.10/include" \
       LDFLAGS="-L../shapelib-1.2.10/lib"

should do the trick, assuming that building but not installing shapelib puts
headers and compiled libraries into those locations..

Of course, you could always just install shapelib in a standard location
instead.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey