[Xastir] Non-functioning Menu.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 7 12:16:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Rich Hall wrote:

> Well I have gone back through the shapelib sections and have it building and
> installing correctly. All is fine now with that and now when the configure is done
> for Xastir it finds the shapelib stuff as expected and dbfawk support now is there
> at build time. What I still have is the errors upon startup - any further ideas?
> Also is festival supposed to start on it's own or do I have to start the server
> before hand?

You have to start it up in server mode before you start Xastir.  We
could easily tweak it so that it brings it up only when it needs to
speak, but the current method was how it was written initially.
Nobody's revisited the code.  N7IPB, Ken Koster, is the guy to bug
about it.  He's a buddy of mine.  He wrote the initial code.

The startup stuff about what map support is installed is normal.

> Found out-of-range or non-existent value (1) for DISPLAY_TACTICAL_STATIONS in config
> file, changing to 0

Do you get that one every time?  That was a new feature that was
added in the last week or so.  You should get it the first time you
start up with that new feature in the code, then never see it again.
If you see it every time, check the permissions on your ~/.xastir
directories and files, particularly the dirs and files in this path:

    ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf

> festival_client: connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

Normal if you don't have Festival server running.

> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback

Not normal.  I'll have to go look at your earlier messages, but I
seem to recall you mentioning that you're not running XFree86,
right?

I sure would like to see more info than just the lines above.  If
they specified which callback they couldn't find, it might help a
bit.

If you start Xastir up like this:

    (xastir 2>&1) | tee startup.log

Do you get some more info written to the file around/just before
those error messags?  If so, just send me the whole file and I'll
look at it.  You'll have to kill Xastir to have it stop writing to
the file.