[Xastir] shared serial output?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 5 13:13:27 EDT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Jim Meehan wrote:

> I'd like to be able to use serial output from my TNC to feed multiple
> applications.  Xastir and also another custom packet radio application.
> I think the easy way to do this is with AX.25 -- unfortunately I'm using
> Mac OS X and there is no kernel AX.25 support that I know of.
>
> Anyone know of an easy way to share a serial device between two applications?

1) I would think you could write a script fairly easily (in Perl
perhaps) that would connect to the port and provide two or more pty
ports for the applications to connect to.  You could make this talk
in two directions.

2) Feed the rxd line to two serial ports and have each application
connect to one port.  This will work for receive data, but not for
both serial ports sending TO the TNC, unless you used some sort of
diode multiplexing.

3) Run aprsd on that port, then have the applications connect to
localhost:socket to talk to the TNC.

4) More?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com