[Xastir] Xastir without X-Windows?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Jun 15 11:57:40 EDT 2004

Xastir won't work without X, and I would consider it a bit hefty for this job.

One way to do what you're talking about is to set up the computer to use
Linux's Kernel AX.25 connection to the TNC and then run aprsd locally. You
can then write perl scripts that connect to ports on aprsd and can pass
packets out to the TNC and listen to what's coming in.

It ought not be too hard to write or find some perl code to parse a GPS
sentence into the APRS position format, or even the APRS compressed position
report.

You can connect many various perl scripts to aprsd for various tasks, like
listening for a special APRS message packet for balloon cutdown, etc.

Of course, this would require quite a bit of development, but I bet much of
it has already been done.

But Xastir is probably not the best way to get GPS sentences to an APRS TNC
on a headless box...

-Lance KJ5O