[Xastir] GPS Data not passing to Xastir

Jeff Wigal jeffw at wigaldesign.com
Thu Jun 17 09:19:03 EDT 2004

Hi--

I am new to Xastir and APRS, and am trying to get my GPS to talk to Xastir
and my Kantronics KPC 3+.

I am using the standard start-up file for the KPC3, as seen below.

I have my GPS hooked up through the radio port

It appears that my TNC is receiving valid GPS data, here's why I think this
is the case...

* when I issue the LT command , I am seeing valid GPS data
* when I unplug the GPS and clear out one of the LT buffers (e.g. LT 1%), it
clears out
* when I plug back in the GPS, I re-issue the LT command, and GPS data
re-appears in the buffer.

I have my TNC set up as a "tnc w/ GPS on the AUX port".

When I issue the "transmit now" command, it says "transmit position disabled
until valid GPS received"

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

# $Id: tnc-startup.kpc3,v 1.7 2004/01/26 16:12:51 we7u Exp $
#
# Copyright (C) 2000-2004  The Xastir Group
#
# This is the TNC Startup file for Kantronics TNC.
# lines that begin with a pound sign are comments.
#
# This configuration sets up Control-E mode for a KPC-3+ (GPS
# connected to the 2nd serial port).  When Xastir is actively
# getting GPS fixes, the TNC beacons only what Xastir sends to it.
# When Xastir stops getting GPS data from the TNC, the TNC will
# revert to dumb-tracker mode and start sending NMEA strings out all
# by itself at a 20-minute rate.  If the GPS get disconnected or
# turned off, the dumb-tracker mode will cease to send out beacons.
# This last function is done by the "CLEAR" parameter for the BLT
# commands.
#
# Some people prefer to turn off the GPS but still have the TNC
# beacon their last good GPS position when in dumb-tracker mode.
# To do this, remove the "CLEAR" parameters from the BLT command
# lines.
#

int terminal

# Clear out the LT buffers so we don't have old data in there:
LT 1
LT 2
LT 3
LT 4
# Clear out the buffer regularly to prevent stale data:
BLT 1 00:20:00 CLEAR
BLT 2 00:20:00 CLEAR
BLT 3 00:00:00
BLT 4 00:00:00
# Set up the NMEA strings to capture:
GPSHEAD 1 $GPRMC
GPSHEAD 2 $GPGGA
#
GPSPORT 4800 NORMAL CHECKSUM
LGETCHAR $05
#
MYAlias RELAY
B E 0
DIGI on
ECho off
EXP on
FILT off
FLow off
FUll off
HEA off
LFadd off
LFSup ON
AUTOLF off
MCOM off
MON ON
MResp OFF
MRPt on
MSTamp off
MXMit off
NEWmode off
#PACLen 128
PASSALL off
#PID off
SCR 0
# B E 0 must be set to 0 or both APRS and your TNC will send BCNS
# Which will alternate in everyones L and A lists and fill up
# their logs.  Do NOT set B E to anything other than 0 while APRS
# is running.