[Xastir] Re: Why do I only hear stations around here?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 19 13:06:36 EDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, James Ewen wrote:
>
> > If my vote counts for anything, I vote to add the position
> > forwarding to Xastir... I'll even post this over on the Xastir
> > reflector!
>
> Fine (and I see that your message went there).  Please add it to the
> feature request list, so that people will continually see it until
> somebody implements it, but you'll need to get one of our Xastir
> authors interested in implementing it, else it won't ever get done.
> Yes, I understand that's why you're working on me!

I also wanted to say:  I'm not against having one of our other
authors (or advanced users) implement it in Xastir.  I'd encourage
it, as it would then emulate the other igates better.

I just personally have no interest in coding it up myself.  I have
many other projects that I want to get to but haven't been able to
find the time for yet.  Most of those are SAR or additional mapping
projects.

For anyone considering doing the coding, you'd need to keep track of
all callsigns/SSID's sending messages -> RF via the igate, keeping a
timer for each.  If the timer expires and another message comes
through from that station (or it's the first message from that
station), create a fake APRS packet out of the known position and
send that through to RF.  If the position isn't known, don't set the
timer and don't create the fake packet.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer