[Xastir] Xastir is stack smashing?

Bill Bird billbird at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 19 23:55:58 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've enjoyed running xastir for several years now on a Slackware V8.0 system
without incident.  I recently compiled xastir V1.3.2 on my Slackware V8.0
system.  On this system I normally run Xastir within a VNC X-windows server
session so I can get to it through a browser anywhere in my house.  While this
was running the whole system seemed to freeze - no mouse movement, no keyboard
response; I could not telnet to the system or ping it.  When I rebooted (can't
remember when I last needed to reboot with Slackware) the system detected a poor
shutdown and did an fsck.  Next I ran xastir without vnc and came back in a few
hours and the computer (Cyrix 166/64MB) had tried to reboot unsucessfully - the
screen showed a complaint about swap and a line of code numbers and stopped on
the fsck.  After turning the machine off on then on, it booted after the fsck
ok.  I've been running the Slackware today without xastir to see if there is any
hardware or other problem I'm not aware of.  So far the Slackware is as fine as
always.

Can I supply some information from any system or xastir files to the group to
help solve this?  Any ideas.  I've used some cvs in the past but probably was
running the last stable xastir release for many, many, months prior to recently
running V1.3.2.  Here is the infomation from the xastir help about screen:

V1.3.2
ShapeLib ImageMagik
GNU/LessTif V2.0 R0.92.32
ImageMagik 5.3.5 07/01/01 Q:16
xvertext routines V5.00

I often connect to the internet with xastir but in all of the above I only had
the serial port opened to my MFJ-1278B tnc in converse mode.  This model MFJ tnc
  is "new" for me and I was previously using a MFJ-1276 (which is going in my VW
Van).

Thanks,

Bill Bird
KG0YJ