[Xastir] Is there a way

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 24 12:20:03 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> Sorry if this is answered somewhere else but I haven't found an answer
> anywhere so I figured I'd post it.
>
> To create local maps from Tiger (and Terraserver/Toposerver) data
> easily?  Say for example to have xastir cache the maps used in "Map
> Display Bookmarks" so the next time the map bookmark is pulled up the
> map will be grabbed from a local cache instead of reloading the same map
> from the internet again and again?

Watch your ~/.xastir/tmp/ directory when you turn on Snapshots.
Xastir will create a PNG snapshot and a .GEO file to go with it.  Is
that good enough?  Move that set to your Xastir maps directory and
you'll have it.

We don't do local caching of the internet maps.  Typically those
that want higher speed maps will go to local vector maps on their
drive instead of using the online raster maps.  That's what I do,
and it also allows me to go mobile with the maps.

> I see there's a feature request to not reload Tiger maps if a map change
> is made that dosn't affect the tiger map.  I can see what I'm asking
> kind of falling under that heading as "smart caching" of the on-line
> maps to speed display and cut down bandwith usage.

Yes, that's been asked for before.  My personal view of the online
maps is that they're ok for occasional use, but not intended to be
the do-all/be-all of mapping in Xastir.  For that you go to local
maps, where you have a lot more control and speed.

> Then again I haven't had much luck at all with local maps so there must
> be something I'm missing.  I grabbed the pre-prepared TIGER maps
> mentioned in the README.maps file and put them in my maps
> directory...the directory I put them in shows up but the maps don't.

Try reindexing all, or if you don't want to do that, "touch" the
files so they have a new date and reindex new.  Make sure all the
files and directories are readable by the user you're running Xastir
as.

> There are .dbf .prj .shp .shx files but they don't show up.

You just need Shapelib for those.

> I also
> tried grabbing a DRG for my area and the .fgd and .tif files are there
> but they don't show up in the map chooser either.

You need libproj, libtiff, and libgeotiff for those.  You might try
the example geotiff file I have on one of my sites to see if your
libraries are correct.  You may have gotten a geotiff file that has
been screwed with, and is therefore not in USGS DRG format.  Try
these files:

    http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/geotiff/

> I've compiled in everything except GDAL/OGR (and would have added that
> except the remotesensing CSV server says there is no repository for gdal
> when I follow the instructions in the INSTALL file :(

They're working on the server.