[Xastir] The future, how soon? B-)

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Jun 25 13:53:50 EDT 2004

?

> > A question from me; it seems that xastir and many other linux progs are
> > written in C rather than C++. Why?  While I make a living from MS VB,  I am
> > inspired by what you  have achieved with xastir, to the point where I am
> > slowly teaching myself a 'real' programming language.  Doesn't C++ offer
> > more? Are there platform, speed issues or what?
>
> I tried some time back to ask for a switch to C++ or Java.  It
> appeared to fall on deaf ears.  The original app was written in C
> and I think most of the developers had experience in C, but not the
> others.

Going to C++ just for the improved type checking would be a good thing.

An big advantage of C/C++ is that it can be used on essentially any platform.  If
an (LGPL) APRS parser was created for use by Xastir, it could also be easily
converted to a library or control that could be accessed by VB.

I have an APRS library/control in VB which I really need to convert to C++ RSN.

73,
Bill