[Xastir] The future, how soon? B-)

Jeff Brenton KA9VNV ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com
Fri Jun 25 16:29:40 EDT 2004

>> I tried some time back to ask for a switch to C++ or Java. It
>> appeared to fall on deaf ears. The original app was written in C
>> and I think most of the developers had experience in C, but not the
>> others.
>>
>> This may be time to switch to something else.  Then again, may not.

GCn> At the risk of getting hammered, Java will result in a slower
GCn> daemon app overall; C++ is do-able but will require some paradigm
GCn> shifting and religious modification for those not already so
GCn> engaged...

I didn't want to mention the fact that 95% of the reason we're killing
off Java in our system is that it has a massive overhead on start-up
and, frankly, is slower than PHP (another interpreted language) once
its running. But some people are willing to live with the overhead to
be able to write code that is "more portable" than just "writing to
use common X API elements".

I have no problem with using C++ in the development, though, because I
*CAN* work with it - it just isn't as "natural" to me as C or Object
Pascal. And I *DO* believe that an APRS application has many aspects
that fit the object-oriented paradigm as well or better than it does
the conventional methods. I remember looking at this before the
Sprouls ported MacAPRS to Windows, because I was looking at doing a
Delphi-based APRS program.

--
Best regards,
 Jeff                            mailto:ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com