[Xastir] Re: Xastir vs. Others

William Baguhn spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net
Mon Jun 28 17:31:06 EDT 2004

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:57:09 -0700
> From: "Tom Robson, ve7did" <ve7did at dccnet.com>
> Subject: [Xastir] Xastir vs. Others
>
> Just had the opportunity to use the latest version winaprs at Field Day
> because I could could not get a laptop which had linux on it.  If any of you
> have had this (mis)fortune to use programs other than Xastir, you will very
> quickly learn how great Xastir really is.  Although I have been using Xastir
> for a couple (perhaps a few) of years, I had no idea how easy it is to run
> compared to winaprs.
>
> I don't think you can find a simpler program to operate and have the majority
> of the functionality available.  It is so easy to demonstrate.  It even shows
> tracks without screwing around.
>
> Admitently, perhaps the install is a bit more difficult, but from a user and
> operator standpoint, how can you beat it.
>
> Just my humble opinion but I know for sure, I now will have to get a laptop
> and get linux installed.
>
> ...73 Tom

I must wholeheartedly agree.  Most other packages have lousy (or
commercial) map options, and require Windows.  The setup I demonstrated on
for Field Day was a dusty old p90 thinkpad with about 600 megs of disk-- ran
Xastir perfectly (if a little slow on the resizes).  I just hope that
the two or three people that I got interested in APRS don't run away and
bury their heads in the sand when they realize that Winaprs isn't quite as
convenient...  (I still can't figure out how to make Winaprs talk to
JUST an internet server, no TNC, yet this is trivial under Xastir... and
winaprs seems to run more slowly on the P200 desktop with more ram and
more disk and fewer maps than does xastir on the p90.)

Xastir rocks.

--
KC9ASI - William Baguhn
http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi