[Xastir] Install problems -- Cant make with Mandrake 10.0

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Wed Jun 30 08:04:27 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:38:03PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> Looks to me like your autoconf/automake versions might be too old?

Confirmed off-list, his system has 2.13 on it.

> You need autoconf 2.53 or later, automake 1.6.3 or later.  Normally
> if you're compiling from a .tgz file that we've released, I don't
> think you need autoconf/automake at all.

It shouldn't for the release and snapshot tarballs, and he didn't even run
bootstrap at first so it should have worked.  But on his first attempt
something tripped the maintainer rules in Makefile which caused autoconf
to be called from make itself (probably a timestamp issue on configure.ac vs.
configure or something like that).  That's not good, and perhaps there should
be a use of AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in the configure.ac file -- that would at least
prevent the release and snapshot tarballs from having Makefile.in's that would
cause autoconf/automake to be run.  With a configure script already provided,
those makefile rules shouldn't be needed.  Users can still run configure
with an option to turn those rules back on if they're going to do lots of
configure.ac and Makefile.am hackage, but those will be few and far between.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey