[Xastir] topo maps

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Mon Mar 1 03:15:45 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian D Heaton" <brian.heaton at janusresearch.com>
To: "Matt Werner" <kb0kqa at arrl.net>
Cc: <xastir at xastir.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Xastir] topo maps

> Judging by your call you're in the US so you can use the USGS DRG
> (digital raster graph) maps for your state.  If you're still in
> Minnesota it looks like the following two links will get you started on
> downloads.
>
> http://www.lmic.state.mn.us/chouse/mndata.html
>
> http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/
>

> There are a couple on-line guides to free or mostly-free GIS data
> resources.  That is a good starting point, or you can just try a quick
> Google for the state name and "DRG".

Ok.  I've checked out the first link but it pretty much just leads me to the
second link.  The second link, the deli, has a lot of 24k DRG maps, but
without the collar.  From what I can learn, it appears that the collar
contains the coordinates of the map.

I've tried the mapfgd.pl script (mapfgd.pl
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/topo/mn/*) and while it doesn't return any
errors, it also doesn't generate any .fgd files.  Xastir sees my .tif files
in the map chooser but won't load the maps.

Are these maps usable, or will I need to bite the bullet and buy the DRGs (I
have searched and searched but can't find them elsewhere)?

Thanks for the help!

73 - Matt