[Xastir] Re: topo maps

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Mon Mar 1 14:10:15 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bennett, Bruce" <bbennett at Spang.com>
To: <xastir at xastir.org>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 12:09 PM
Subject: [Xastir] Re: topo maps

> >> No, one example name would be drgncimq2041.tif.  How do I go about
making
> >> them usable?  I would really like to get these to work as they are a
free
> >> source of DRGs covering the entire state, and the only free source I
have
> >> found...
>
> >figure out what covers what and name them appropriately.
>
> >for a degree you'd have o48098a1.tif at the lower right up to
o48098h8.tif
> >at the upper left. 1-8 right to left, a-h bottom to top.
>
> It's actually much less effort just to edit an .fgd file to alter it
> for the coodinates of each map. This is the voice of experience speaking
> here :)
>
> The coordinates are listed in the four corners of each map image.

If it has the collar.  The images I have already have the collar removed,
thus no coordinates.  I suppose I could manually look up the print versions
of each map to see what the coordinates are supposed to be for my image, and
then create a .fgd file for that image.

Are the coordinates printed on the map collar the EXACT same thing used by
xastir in the .fgd file, or does the .fgd file contain more accurate
resolution of the corners?

--break--

Here's what I do have:

I have a digital image of the map with a collar (from a Maptech CD).  I
can't seem to use the Maptech file as the map I want - they appear to be a
proprietary format.  The Maptech map does show me the coordinates though.  I
also have the MN DNR tif file of the same map, without the collar (or
coordinates).

I created a .fgd file by hand.  This is it:

1.5.1.1 WEST BOUNDING COORDINATE: -92.250000
1.5.1.2 EAST BOUNDING COORDINATE: -92.121666
1.5.1.3 NORTH BOUNDING COORDINATE: 47.000000
1.5.1.4 SOUTH BOUNDING COORDINATE: 46.871666

I think I'm making progress, but still have problems.  Is there more to an
fgd file than just that?  xastir says:

No samplesPerPixel tag found in file, setting it to 1
Problem in translating
Problem in translating
Problem in translating
Problem in translating

In xastir I now have a white box where the map should be, with the NW and NE
corners where they should be.  The bottom part of the map goes right off the
screen though.  In the white box, on the right side, are a few vertical gray
& black lines.  I assume this means that xastir was not able to correctly
display the file, or is this still a problem with my fgd?

73 - Matt