[Xastir] Canadians! Online Topo Maps!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 2 12:36:53 EST 2004

That get your attention?

CVS Xastir has brand-new support built-in using the new mapserver
(mm.aprs.net) for snagging 1:250k and 1:50k Toporama maps and
displaying them.  There are still some bugs in the code and in the
server that is serving them to us, but it is very usable right now.

You'll need to do a CVS update and run:

    ./bootstrap.sh
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install
    exit

After you Reindex New, you'll see CanadaTopo250k.geo and
CanadaTopo50k.geo files.  Those should be self-explanatory.  Set up
min/max zoom levels for each in Map Chooser->Properties and you
should be set.  You'll need ImageMagick support and either libcurl
or wget support compiled in for this to work of course, as these are
internet map images (PNG's to be specific).  In this case we're
downloading the dynamically generated .geo file first, then using
that to download/display the map image.

I have a list of current bugs for it, but am looking forward to
hearing both good and bad reports about how it operates.

You can think Toporama and Adi Linden for the maps, Steve Dimse for
the map server and CGI scripts to serve them.

James J:  Did you have something to do with this as well in the form
of aprsworld and space for the maps?