[Xastir] Tiger Maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 3 16:23:35 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, meli wrote:

>  I've downloaded a set of Census2000 maps, and put them into a directory
> in the maps directory. I changed the permissions as insrtucted in the manual,
> but I cannot seem to choose them through the Map Chooser - I can select
> the directory, but nothing more I even brought a map (and the two files
> that come with it - .dbf and .shx. Did I miss something?

1) You must have the .shp, .dbf, and .shx in the same directory.
They can be anywhere in the /usr/local/share/xastir/maps heirarchy (
you can make subdirectories at will).

2) You must have Shapelib compiled in (See the INSTALL file)

3) You must index the maps.  If the maps have an old timestamp
(older than your map_index.sys file) and you're using the Reindex
NEW option instead of the Reindex ALL option, you might need to
"touch" the map files first to update the timestamp, then try
reindexing again.  Afer that, they should appear in the Map Chooser.

Make sure you also click "Expand Dirs" in the Map Chooser, else you
won't see ay files at all.