[Xastir] Linux turn by turn Navigation/Mapping Software?

Frank - KG6JVE kg6jve at pasadena.net
Wed Mar 17 16:38:00 EST 2004

I'm a long time Linux user, since kernel .9x something. One application
for Linux I'm unable to find:

I'm looking for turn by turn navigation solution that runs in Linux.
Something that does not require an Internet connection, like M$ MapPoint,
Delorme and all the others. Does anything like this exist?

If I can find something, I'll be able to run Xastir in my car. Then I
wouldn't need to have two laptops in my Suburban, One for Kismet and one
for MapPoint: http://www.pasadena.net/projects/auto.htm

Every few months I go out and look for something, I've been dissapointed
for years now. :-(

What is preventing someone from developing this? I'm sure there would be
plenty of demand for such a product. Am I as frustrated as everyone else?
Or have I missed something?

Frank
KG6JVE