[Xastir] Another map question

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Sun Mar 21 05:03:46 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:11:51PM -0800, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <jmt at twilley.org> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> The USRadar map is great, with one small exception: it obscures
> everything underneath it.  It'd be wonderful if there was a way to
> make it translucent somehow, so state borders and possibly GNIS
> information could show through the radar image.
>
> Is that really hard?  Is it something that could be abstracted out to
> the map chooser for all map types?

That would be nice.  I pretty much always assign USRadar to a low map
layers (layer 1), and layer my vector layers and GNIS files over it
using the map properies dialog (most unfilled shapefiles are at layer
100, gnis at layer 101).  It still would be nice to have the radar be
translucent so it doesn't completely obscure raster layers (e.g. online
tiger rasters, topo maps or terraserver images which I usually keep at
layer 0).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry