[Xastir] Compression algorithm problem with DRGs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 29 12:17:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jeff Barlow wrote:

> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:
>
> >Kind of negates the "big win" in finding free maps, doesn't it?
> >Makes you spend so much time trying to get them to work, that it's
> >almost worth buying them from a reliable source.  :-(
>
> Well, that depends. Which kind of free are you talking about, beer or
> speech? If the free maps are in the public domain, or have a license
> that permits redistribution, then it's worth the trouble to fix them and
> make them available to the community.

That can be done on a small basis, but it's hard to find someone
with the disk capacity and large enough pipes to be able to store
the whole DRG set.  I know I don't have it...  I have something like
50MB of storage on my ISP.  I have access to another box that has a
bit of space but nowhere near enough, plus if the network usage went
up too much it might be kicked out of it's location.

If I had DSL or cablemodem I'd volunteer to put up a state's worth
of DRG's.

Perhaps if we had enough people volunteer to support one or two
state's worth, we could put up a reference page that would point
people to the download sites of interest.